magnolia-module-cache caches on public instance all data into byte array which easily causes OutofMemoryError on large repositories.
NOTE: this error occures on Public instances only, whose has caching enabled!
How to reproduce:
1) Start PUBLIC magnolia instance with Heap smaller than DMS repository size, for example -Xmx256m
2) Upload on PUBLIC instance few large files (for example 3 times 100MB PDF files)
3) Launch new anonymous browser (to ensure, that cache is used)
4) Download (do not interrupt) the 3 large 100MB large files from public instance
5) Usually the 2nd download will cause
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
(Full stacktrace shall be attached later)
Woraround: disable caching for large repositories (attachment pending)
Possible solution: cache module should stream large files into disk rather than memory (as it did in 3.0.x version). This should prevent OutOfMemory error on large Document and or Website repositories.