Affects Version/s: 1.0
Fix Version/s: 1.0.1
Component/s: Preview App
Environment:eebundle snapshot: magnolia-enterprise-bundle-5.3-20140612.072113-288
eebundle snapshot: magnolia-enterprise-bundle-5.3-20140612.210538-295
Our idea of allowing to directly view a particular page variant as a visitor has a major flaw: if that variant is opened in the Previews app, the selected "anonymous" persona is typically wrong. Or at least, the combination of variant shown and persona selected is often wrong.
Steps to reproduce:
- create a page variant and assign it to a German audience
- in Pages, select that variant, then choose "preview as visitor"
- the page opens up in the Previews app, the selected "anonymous" persona, however, is not supposed to see this variant
I see the following options:
- we add an "unselected" state, including a different image. This state would be selected in such a case. I still see value in offering a full-screen preview here and in then being able to toggle through the available personas to verify, who exactly sees the variant I've just previewed.
- Question: What do we show if - in a normal previewing scenario - someone selects "unselected"?
pre-select the first persona that would see the variant(ambiguous result) add one or more traits with values that would allow an anonymous user to see the variant(ambiguous result)
- show a 404: don't show the page in such a case.
- show the initial, original main node
Redirect in PreviewApp
- Check in info.magnolia.personalization.preview.ui.action.OpenPreviewAppAction if it's a variant and if so use the main node to open the PreviewApp
- make action "Preview as visitor" unavailable for variants
I'm clearly in favor of 1) as it is simple and supports the flow that I then click through my personas directly without further ado (i.e. I don't have to remove traits that would have been added by option 3). 2) and 3) are probably difficult to implement, but they also lead to a surprising, unforeseen UI, which I want to avoid. 4) actually feels more like the system is broken.