When using component personalization on a component which contains an area, (such as the column-layout component in the travel demo) , when you add a new component to the area in any of the variants - the new component is added to the original, instead of to the currently active variant.
- Create a new page with template "Travel Standard"
- Add a Column Layout component to the page (with 2 cols for simplicity)
- Add an HTML component to the 1st column. Enter "In original" as the HTML content.
- On the Column Layout component, Add a component variant.
- On the new "Variant 0" variant, create an addition HTML component in the 1st column, with content "In variant-0".
- You don't see the new content in variant-0.
- When you switch to the original - you see the content there.
- In the JCR-browser, you see the content has indeed been placed in the original, not in the variant.