In a review with Pascal, we've had a thorough look at how lists, trees, the Pulse message list and Favorites work.
Here's how we want to unify the behavior so that we can tell and teach a single story to users:
- a double click or double-tap on icon or text executes the main action. In trees, it opens the item; in favorites, it executes the favorite.
- if there is no main action (e.g. in config tree), a double-click directly edits the text you're double-clicking on
- a single click/tap on icon or text selects the item
- a second, single (or double) executed after a very short delay and on any text of an already selected item shows a text input field to edit that text
- you may then use TAB/Shift-TAB to move between all editable text fields of the selected item.
- a click on the right-mouse button:
- selects the item underneath the mouse
- opens the context menu offering all common actions on the item