Current implementation of async actions for multiple items must be improved.
- Class hierarchy is inconvenient
- AbstractAction => AbstractMultiItemAction => AbstractCommandAction (which historically states it should not be called for multiple items)
- This makes it very difficult for an action to compose such capabilities.
- Notifications do not work well w/ async and multiple items
MGNLUI-3341for more symptoms
- Async support is not really async
- UI may still be blocked while supposedly async action execution takes place
- We should reconsider
hijackusage of scheduler in there
- Proper async support depends on servlet 3; we need to evaluate consequences (e.g. on filters/filter chain) and build this appropriately
- Push alone won't solve those issues for us
Other points which may be revisited:
- Availability (esp. towards multi-item)
- Callback hell, exposing more context, params, UI components to actions & save actions