It is currently very difficult to come up with "more intelligent" behavior when one field needs to interact with other fields from the same dialog/form.
We need to support such dynamic forms in a much easier way. Collecting some common requirements:
- populating select options based on the value of another field
- validating a field depending on the value of another field (including within a composite field itself)
- enabling/disabling fields conditionally
- potentially custom handling of any field, via plain Vaadin code
- properly highlighting validation on sub-fields
On a side note, we might as well consider the original title/request if we find a convincing approach for it. — i.e. providing fields with some convenience access to "basic" properties of the form item.
More details/acceptance criteria can be found here: https://jira.magnolia-cms.com/browse/DEV-920